Sunday, December 9, 2012

Everybody, meet my friends, The Pestle and Mortar



I grew up without a blender and food processor. Those items were just props on Full House in the endless hours of time I spent watching Uncle Joey cook. The pestle and mortar, on the other hand, was my kind of normal and I was shocked to find out that a lot of households didn’t even own one. Of course, I grew up, learned the ins and outs of the kitchen and realized I was the weird one with a batch of stones as normal cookware.

When I thought the grass was greener on the more technological advanced side of things, I put down the pestle and mortar for a shiny new blender and processor in hopes of getting with the program. Little did I realize, nothing could ever replace the magic of my former sous chefs. Maybe it was how finely the pestle hit the mortar in its goal of finely combining the spices for the soup, or how perfectly the two were able to mince together the perfect consistency of fishball but nothing can compare to how much the quality of my meals increased because of the duo.

The picture boasts a shelf full of mortars and pestles at a market. My grandma currently uses a pretty sturdy stone one. The same one she’s had for nearly 30 years since coming to America. I realize that this will be the same one passed down to me when times permits. No matter what new gizmo and gadget comes out in the future, it can’t compete against it’s ancient and jaded predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment